Rev. Wales Tileston, A.B., Union College, 1822, pastor of the church from the fall of 1837, induced the people to build an Academy on their church grounds, and in 1838 it was built. As there was no newspaper in the newly incorporated village at that time there are no records of instructors, or pupils, until 1841, when the Genesee Vally Recorder in September of that year makes the announcement for that year. It is known however, that a Mr. Edwards was principal of the school, and a Miss Wing, sister to Galielmus Wing, was preceptress, with local assistants, if any were needed. Mr. Edwards had a desire to enter the ministry and even to be a missionary, and did not make teaching his first purpose. The school was a necessity and was patronized by those who had outgrown a necessity for district school instruction, and who found the cramped conditions on Mill Street, alike undesirable and unendurable. The school was not large at first, and the austere ways of the missionary did not create enthusiasm. His name and the locality from which Rev. Tileston came, suggests he had selected this friend from Puritan New England, (Heath, Mass.) and if he was not a descendant of Jonathan Edwards, his theology at least was closely related. He failed to induce any of the young ladies to change from the developing of their own minds to the possibility of making negroes or Hindus think as the missionary thinks, and so he departed alone.

Students in The First Academy, Church Street, 1840-1841
Benjamin P. Vancourt (sp), A. Jackson Sherwood, George H. Bagley, John Ditto, W. Parker Wright, Eliha D. Holmes, William Dunn, L. Bissell Hills, Warren Gardner, P. Dudley Kendrick, Theodore Horton, Richard Tyleston, Riley Merrill Jr., Phineos (sp) L. Gilbert, Frederick B. Wing, Edward H. Chandler, John L. Gray, William (??), Graw Ralston H. Bellus, Charles Bellus, J. Matthew Washburn, Martin Hubbell, Knelon A. Jeffries, Elnathan Packard, John Ormandson, Newton Colby, Oliver P. Ashley, Vandalia Waite, M.D., John Brewer, John Wheeler, S. Deak, C. J. Deak (died 1908), Cyrus T. Dake; Mt. Morris, Edwin Swan; Mt. Morris. From Portage, 1841, Henry Tuthill, Yates Bennett, (died 1906), William Tolusey, (deceased), Andrew Gray, Orville Root, Harlow Orcutt, Joseph Clark Button, Nathaniel B. Nichols Jr.; W. Sparta, Egbert Bogart, John Thompson, Jacob Bogart, David R. Vorees, William T. Spinning; Granger, John McLane. Birdsall, Cyrus Thompson; Upper Canada, Lyman Crosby, Catharine Vancourt, Matilda Sherwood, (Mrs. W.G. Russell, Binghamton), Rhoda M. Smith, Delia and Mary Bagley, Amelia Crane, Sarah A. Barnes (Mrs. A. G. Rose), Amanda Horner, Sarah A. Wright, Mary Pennell (daughter of Rev. A. P. Pennell), Eller and Elizabeth Whitney, Garfilia Waite, Harriet Hudnut (Mrs. Leroy Satterlee). Mary Ennis, Sarah Dickinson, Mandana Tyleston, Elizabeth Tyleston, Esther M. Gilbert (Mrs. P. D. Kendrick), Elizabeth S. Lane; Granger, Ebey Bogart; West Sparta, Janette and Adeline Bellus; Nunda, Martha L. Wasburn; Nunda. Portage: Alary and Esther Williams, Flora Bennett (died 1900). Cynthia and Mary Spencer, Louisa Button, Harriet N. Carpenter, Margaret C. Howell; Brooks Grove. Sarah M. Dake; Mt. Morris, Elsie Vorees; West Sparta, Elizabeth Campbell; Sparta, Ebey Bogart; W. Sparta.

Nunda Literary Institute became an actuality because the old Baptist Church was no longer needed for church purposes. The Nunda Academy was too small to accommodate all who would attend it, there were better facilities for instruction. The frequent change of teachers in the academy also taught a lesson, and the Baptists determined to hire a principal who had taught successfully, and who expected to make teaching his life work. The Middlebury Academy at Wyoming was the leading school of this class at the time. One of the leading citizens of the town was the Hon. L. C. Peck, educated at this classical institution. Besides, it was known that Prof. Peck had an extensive cabinet which would come with him and place the new school on or above the level of its competitor. The numerical strength of the Baptist Church at the time was such that there would be a good attendance, even if the Pesbyterian School continued its existence. It is from present standards of toleration, to be regretted that both schools were run too much as Sectarian Institutions. There is no list of the first academy's officials, but certainly those of the Baptist School were decidedly too much along denominational lines. To Principal Winslow, who introduced into the board men, as trustees, for their ability, and not for their creed, is due much of the greater prosperity which attended the institution during its last years. Men like Gersham Waldo (Episcopalian); L. B. Warner and Witley (sp) Packard, (Universalist) was a movement in the right direction. These men were interested in education per see and were not thinking of how a large school would increase the attendance and membership of any particular church. From the first the stockholders in the building made a choice outside their numbers.

September 28, 1844, Stockholders and trustees, Rev. Jira(sp) Clark, pastor Baptist Church; President of the Board, Serenas Britton (served 5 years); Nathaniel Coe (until he moved west); Samuel Swain Jr. (until he resigned), James Swain (until he resigned), Carlos Ashley, Jeremiah Richardson, John E. Dake, Zadock Herrick Jr., Rev. Luke Colby, Solomon H. Donaldson, Dr. D. M. Dake, Moses Harron.

October 24, 1844, Added to this original board John Seaver, James Barrett, Benjamin W. Dake, Lyman Herrick, Probably these were stockholders

D. W. Dake, M.D. Lecturer, 1847

Catalogue of 1844: William D. Clark, Nunda, Hurman J. Clark, Nunda, Heriali Clark, Nunda, Albert S. Carver, Nunda; George H. Carver, Nunda; Ruffus Chandler, Nunda; Levi Chase, Nunda; Samuel j. Crooks, Granger; Salmon P. Colby, Greece; Orsemus C. Dake, Penn Yan; Jabez P. Dake Jr., Nunda; Alfred H. Day, Andrew J. Dake, Portage; William G. Dake, Portage; William S. Eddy, Nunda; Willard Eddy, Nunda; Joseph Gray, Springwater; W. B. Gardner, Charles H. Gardner, Frank Gardner, Charles J. Gardner, Nunda; E. S. Green, Asalf Gould, Castile. George B. Herrick Dake, Nunda; Elvira E. Dake, Nunda; Eunice M. Dake (Mrs. W. A. H. Dake - died 1905)

Catalogue of 1846: Adelia Dake, Horace M. Dake, Daniel N. Dake, William W. Dake, Benjamin W. Dake

First Class 1888 Union School and Academical Department; Jennie Loraine Dake, Teacher

Nunda Union School with Academic Department - Class of Graduates 1881: Jennie Dake, 98 Woodward Ave., Buffalo, NY

Class of 1904: Fred Lee Dake, Denver, Colorado

Madison (Now Colgate) University 1847; James P. Dake Jr. of Nunda, was Madison University 1847 and 1848

Colgate University 1859: Orsamus C. Dake, A.B. from Nunda, son of Benjamin Dake

Union College: 1797-1897; Horace Dake, A.P.

The Cleveland Homeopathy College: William H. Dake M.D., D.D. J.S.

Strange as it may seem, yet it is true that Clifford C. Mialee (sp) M. D. then a resident of Nunda, advertised in the Gazette a medical course of instruction in Anatomy and Nursery and succeeded in having a class of twelve or more medical students. Chauncy M. Dake, Jabez W. Dake, David M. Dake, William Dake and W. Deak.

Dr. Jabez Dake Sr., was a prominent and busy physician. He was a Veteran of the war of 1812. Host of his sons became physicians.

Dr. David Dake, M.D. and ( ) practices both in Nunda and Rochester.

Chauncey M. Dake practiced in Tuscarora, and then went to Rochester; William H. Dake M.D., D.D. practiced dentistry in Pittsburgh. He died in Rochester and is buried in Nunda.

Jabez Dake Jr. became Homeopathy also became professor of Hahnemann College, Philadelphia, having the Chair of Materi Medica and wrote medical books.

Mr. William H. Dake studied medical but did not practice to any extent.

Dr. B. Frank Dake of Portage, graduate of Union College, located at Pittsburgh and died at Pasadena, August 1906.

Dr. David M. Dake State Street, practiced dentistry.

B. Frank Dake also became a law student here and completed his course. He does not follow his profession but succeeds in business lines.

H. M. Dake might have been classed with these but after a course in college he studied law but was not as successful as a lawyer.

Dr. Jabez Dake, son of William Gould Dake, Rev. Soldier, who lived on Church Street in this village in pioneer days, was a soldier of the War of 1812. His monument in our cemetery fails to record this interesting fact of his life. His five sons became physicians.